[sg16-avd] Multi-party conferencing: next speaker prediction

Campos, Simao simao.campos at itu.int
Tue Jul 14 04:58:12 EDT 2015

Maybe a topic for standardization?

Regular Articles
   Predicting Who Will Be the Next Speaker and When in Multi-party Meetings

   ***Abstract***
   An understanding of the mechanisms involved in face-to-face communication
   will contribute to designing advanced video conferencing and dialogue
   systems. Turn-taking, the situation where the speaker changes, is
   especially important in multi-party meetings. For smooth turn-taking,
   the participants need to predict who will start speaking next and to
   consider a strategy for achieving good timing to speak next. Our aim is to
   clarify the kinds of behavior that contribute to smooth turn-taking and to
   develop a model for predicting the next speaker and the start time of the
   next speaker's utterance in multi-party meetings. We focus on gaze behavior
   and respiration near the end of the current speaker's utterance. We
   empirically demonstrate that gaze behavior and respiration have a relation
   to the next speaker and the start timing of the next utterance in multi-
   party meetings. A prediction model based on the results reveals that gaze
   behavior and respiration contribute to predicting the next speaker and the
   timing of the next utterance.
   https://www.ntt-review.jp/archive/ntttechnical.php?contents=ntr201507ra1.html