[sg16-avd] [h325-design] Update on the work related to H.325 / AMS

Paul E. Jones paulej at packetizer.com
Tue Jan 7 19:44:13 EST 2014

Xiaoyang,

>Hi,Paul,
>
>This updated Overview is very helpful for me to understand the AMS
>project. Thanks alot. I'v still two questions:
>
>Q1: Page 28,  Interface E (Container/Application to SN), but in the
>figure of interfaces there is no direct line between Application and
>SN,

Applications would normally register with the Service Node.  So, the
description is correct, but the diagram needs to be revised.  the
challenge is that drawing so many lines gets messy very quickly.

>       Page 32 saies, a Container or application must register with a SN
>before it can do anything,
>       My question is, if an application does not associate with any
>Container can register with a SN? If yes, how does the SN manage and
>identify such applications?

We have an existing requirement that says applications should be able to
register to a Container directly.  This is OK for applications that do
not send media (e.g., a flashing lamp to indicate to a deaf person that
a call is incoming).  However, it's likely going to be very important
for applications to register with a service node in order to do NAT/FW
traversal properly.  We have procedures defined for that already, which
requires a STUN server in the public Internet.  Following either the ICE
procedures or the existing H.323 NAT/FW traversal approach (which is
very predictable and efficient, I'll add), there would need to be a
media proxy function in the public Internet.

The service node is something comparable to an H.323 GK or SIP
registrar.  It handles registrations, balances registration load,
resolves addresses, and forward messages from endpoints into the network
and vice versa.  The applications will register with the service node
using some credentials (e.g., username/password, signed credentials,
key).

The registration with a service node is entirely separate from two
applications associating with each other.  And I think this gets to the
point of your question.

Let's suppose you have an electronic whiteboard in a meeting room.  The
whiteboard will be registered with a service node, perhaps with the URI
"whiteboard at conf888.zte.com.cn".  If you wish to associate your mobile
phone with the whiteboard, you could enter that URI into your phone.  It
would then send a request to the whiteboard to associate.  The
whiteboard might prompt you to accept the request, at which point the
"engaged" message goes across the wire.  Now, you have the whiteboard as
an application you can use in a call.  (It should also be possible to
automate the associating using NFC, for example.)

>       BTW, the lines of Interface A/E/K are not easily distinguished
>for the nearest color.

This is true.  I think as we write the specification, it might be best
to use a solid color and break the diagram into parts so that no one
part looks so confusing.  The model is actually fairly simple, but these
diagrams make it look more complicated than it really is.

>Q2: Page 34, the last two steps in this flow, communication between the
>applications might be A1 to A1, and A2 to A2?  I think it means the
>same type applications with the same number just like in the next
>slide.

Indeed, that's a mistake.  I'll update the presentation to show
communication between A1/A1 and A2/A2.

Paul