[itu-sg16] Forward Error Correction

Paul E. Jones paulej at packetizer.com
Wed Oct 28 15:45:20 EDT 2009

Hi Paul,

I agree that the problem which I touched has broader scope than the one
resulted from the attempt to solve the ETSI TS 101 804 - 2 issue.

So my preference is to put some clarification/fixing text into v7, to
help resolve the issue and continue the work if needed into v8.

I tried to classify the problems introduced by ETSI TS 101 804 - 2 and
state what I believe is the reasonable H.323 behavior for these cases
and where it should be defined.

I found the following two groups:

1)      Receiving of incorrectly encoded H.225.0/Q.931 message.

Some facts:

a.       H.245 has precisely one response to any incorrectly encoded
message: (FunctionNotSupported.cause.syntaxError)

b.      RAS has precisely one response to any incorrectly encoded
message: (messageNotUnderstood a.k.a XRS)

c.       Q.931 has very detailed approach to what to do with incorrectly
encoded messages.

So detailed that for example the processed of:

incorrect protocol discriminator at the top level of the message differs
from the processing of

incorrect protocol discriminator inside user-User IE.

d.      H.225.0 7.1 provides very limited set of rules for error
handling, I found these:

                                                               i.
Implementations shall follow ITU-T Rec. Q.931 as specified in this
Recommendation.

                                                             ii.
The H.225.0 endpoint may ignore all optional messages it does not
support without harming interoperability

                                                            iii.
The H.225.0 endpoint ... but shall respond to an unknown message with a
Status message

                                                           iv.
Procedures for receiving unrecognized "comprehension required"
information elements shall apply according to 5.8.7.1/Q.931.

                                                             v.
Endpoints not supporting Q.931 shifted code sets shall ignore all Q.931
messages using such methods.

The BIG question is: shall Implementations follow ITU-T Rec. Q.931
clause 5.8 "Handling of error conditions" or not.

Should we have such an elaborate error handling processing for Q.931
messages, while the rest works well with simple mechanisms?

2)      Behavior of an H.323 entity receiving a STATUS message with
callState indicating a call state, which differs from the one known by
the H.323 entity.

Q.931 specifies for example that if STATUS received with callState other
than null and the known call state for this call is null then STATUS
should be responded with RELEASE COMPLETE.

3)      Behavior of an H.323 entity when SETUP is not acknowledged
during T303 timeout.

Q.931 specifies that SETUP needs to be retransmitted.

==============

So my proposal is (I'll work on precise wording, this is just the
essence):

1)      Remove from H.225.0 7.1 the sentences indicated by 1) d. ii-v.
above.

2)      Add new section H.225.0 7.1.1 dedicated to H.225.0/Q.931
messages error handling and stating the following:

a.       Q.931 section 5.8 does not apply to H.225.0 endpoints.

b.      The H.225.0 endpoint may ignore all optional messages it does
not support without harming interoperability

c.       The H.225.0 endpoint ... but shall respond with a Status
message containing cause No. 95 to any H.225.0 message it cannot
understand or decode due to Q.931 or ASN.1 encoding error.

3)      Add to section 8.6 new paragraph (probably after the current
third paragraph) stating that

"An H.323 entity receiving a STATUS message with a callState indicating
a call state other then null and containing a callID value which is does
not correspond to any of the calls currently handled by the entity may
respond to STATUS message with RELEASE COMPLETE containing the CRV and
callID from the STATUS message."

4)      Add to section 8.6 new paragraph (probably at the end) stating
that

"On expiration of the T303 the H.323 entity shall not retransmit the
SETUP message, it shall clear the call according to the Phase E
procedures defined in section 8.5."

I hope this does not disturb H.323/H.225.0 too much and we can agree at
least on part of it.

I will prepare a contribution with the proposal outlining the above to
the meeting.

Does this make sense?

Thanks,

Sasha