[itu-sg16] Rapporteur group meeting of ITU-T SG16 Questions 2, 3, 4, 5, 12, 13, 21, 22, 24, 25 and 29/16

OKUBO Sakae okubo at mxz.mesh.ne.jp
Wed Jun 25 22:43:30 EDT 2008

Simao, Julian,

Getting statistics has proven to be difficult and we tried to collect some
as part of the H.323 Forum activities.  Perhaps the most recent information
I have seen published is this:
http://www.telegeography.com/cu/article.php?article_id=15656

While this is focused on Skype, I would guess they have stats for each
protocol.

Also, statistics were available from various sources to put together the
chart on the H.323 Forum site, though I cannot find the original sources for
that now, unfortunately.

In any case, my guess is that the percentage has not changed substantially,
except that there is probably a higher percentage of VoIP and Skype :-)
H.323 is still widely deployed for international voice termination.  Where
SIP is used within the US, in many cases, calls are terminated to the PSTN
and an international carrier then carries those either by H.323, SIP, or
PSTN.  (Sadly, the PSTN is still the predominant interworking function.)

I would also like to see current usage statistics.  It might be helpful to
try to contact some of the larger international carriers (and large
international VoIP carriers) to try to get numbers-- if they will give them.