[itu-sg16] Instant Messaging in H.323 & Common Alerting Protocol (CAP)

Eliot Christian echristian at usgs.gov
Tue May 29 07:28:32 EDT 2007

Paul,

At 08:52 PM 5/28/2007, Paul E. Jones wrote:
>[...] For example, assume that the NWS detects the tornado.  By what
>means is it expecting to send the CAP message to the Weather Channel?
>If H.323 had the facility, would the NWS perhaps send the CAP message
>directly to a receive using H.323?  (This is akin to placing a phone
>call, but rather than delivering a voice message, the system delivers
>a text message and gets acknowledgement of receipt.)

Alerting authorities around the world, like NWS and USGS, use a wide
range of communications mechanisms. Essentially, they'll use whatever
it takes to reach their target audience of emergency managers and/or
the public. If H.323 is in broad use and provides for delivery of an
XML (structured text) message, I anticipate that alerting authorities
somewhere will use that facility to send CAP messages.

>Or, is it expected that the Weather Channel would fetch these CAP
>messages through other means?

Anyone can pull CAP messages at any time from a public news feed
at NWS ( http://www.weather.gov/alerts ). For publishers who need
to fetch alerts at high volume (including fast update frequency),
alerting authorities will make special arrangements--typically a
dedicated, high-bandwidth, secure, redundant communications path.

A direct answer to your question is that Weather Channel already
has other means for getting CAP messages from NWS. But, they'll
need other mechanisms for picking up relevant alerts from other
alerting authorities. For instance, the Weather Channel inserts
reports of local conditions country by country around the world.
They'll need to get weather, air quality, ultraviolet and many
other kinds of alerts from all kinds of local alerting authorities.
So, designers should not foreclose any communications mechanism.

>I don't expect to see H.323-enabled sirens and such, so let's
>consider a user's PC-based softphone or IP phone: would you
>expect the NWS or Weather Channel or other entity to transmit
>the CAP message directly to the end user of such devices?

Yes. We envision apps for CAP alerts in any and all devices
that are location-aware. Even if the device does not have GPS,
any device on the public Internet can get the location of its
connection point--probably precise enough for most threats.

We are anticipating that the makers of chipsets for cell phones
will ship CAP-aware software at some point. I understand that
most cell phones already have a second processor for general
purpose computing applications. In that case, the processing
of a CAP alert need not be handled by the communications chip.

There is a potentially huge market for people to receive CAP
alerts. In addition to being warned of threats at their current
position, people would like to be warned of threats occurring
wherever their loved ones are: a child at home or away at school;
a grandparent in a nursing home, etc. After the Virginia Tech
tragedy, universities are looking for ways to reach everyone
on campus in an emergency. Hotel chains found the same demand
after the tsunami of 2004. As noted above, when the need is
reach everyone, alerting authorities use all possible media.

> Or, would you expect the CAP message to be translated in
>the network into something that is "human decipherable" (e.g.,
>a formatted text message, video message, or voice message)
>that gets "played" to the user?  In that case, the user's
>equipment would never see or process a CAP message.

Certainly this mode of public warning communications is common
and will remain so. But, processing of actual CAP messages by
end devices is much to be preferred. The user can then filter
messages according to his/her personal needs (e.g., I need
higher sensitivity for any alerts affecting my blind brother).

Eliot