[itu-sg16] Instant Messaging in H.323 & Common Alerting Protocol (CAP)

Paul E. Jones paulej at packetizer.com
Mon May 28 20:37:49 EDT 2007

Simao,

> I wonder, would make sense to think of defining a new entity e.g. a
> "multimedia alert gateway", where we would state what the conversion
> requirements would be and then we go on to say how it would be handled
> within H.323? This maybe as an add on to H.323, or perhaps as something
> that could be used for H.32x (now putting Q1 in the discussion :-) )
> and H.248 as well?

My thinking was that the emergency broadcast center was the "gateway", so to
speak.  I have envisaged that there would be devices that knew where to send
H.460.21 broadcasts, as well as devices that knew how to place serial and
parallel calls.

So, I did expect such an gateway, but do we need a new standardized
signaling element for this?  It seems like these devices would still be
standard H.323 entities, but performing a more specific task.  Most of the
intelligence relating to when to use what method would be outside of H.323.