[itu-sg16] Spam control mechanisms

Eliot Lear lear at cisco.com
Sat May 26 09:52:35 EDT 2007

Dear Paul,

The IETF has (finally) published DKIM as RFC 4871. DKIM does not suffer
the sorts of problems you mention, with regard to SPF. Furthermore, it
is not classed as experimental but as a Proposed Standard. It was
co-written by, amongst others, the creator of sendmail and syslog, Eric
Allman, and is based on Yahoo! Domain Keys and Cisco's Identified
Internet Mail (IIM).

DKIM works through domain-based signatures that are published in the DNS
as TXT records, and so is path-independent. It also protects message
content, thus preventing hijacking of one's email address for nefarious
purposes. I recommend that you consider DKIM in addition to, or as an
alternative to, SPF.

Eliot Lear
Cisco Systems