[itu-sg16] Instant Messaging in H.323 & Common AlertingProtocol (CAP)

Paul E. Jones paulej at packetizer.com
Fri May 25 17:21:00 EDT 2007

Gary,

Your understanding of Annex G is correct.  It could be used for IM-type
services, but it really is different and would be a poor candidate for IM,
in my opinion.  Both modes have their place.

Perhaps more important is this: do we deliver CAP as CAP messages, or do we
deliver the human-readable contents of CAP messages?  Do any H.323 systems
exchange CAP messages?  (We assumed so, but that's now pulled into
question.)  If we are to send CAP messages as CAP messages (i.e., not
"decoded"), then we need something and Annex G is definitely not appropriate
for that, but what is?  An IM system designed to carry "typed" messages or
some other facility in H.323 (e.g., something like H.450.7)?