[itu-sg16] Instant Messaging in H.323 & Common AlertingProtocol(CAP)

Paul E. Jones paulej at packetizer.com
Wed May 23 09:40:45 EDT 2007

Geoff,

This is not precisely what I've seen as the usage of IM messages.
Essentially, what I've seen requested are two things:
1) To be able to call a person point-to-point and send an IM as part of the
conversation to convey textual information (e.g., "Here's the address to
Jane's house: ....")
2) To be able to do the same kind of thing outside the context of a call,
similar to what SMS systems do for GSM (except that messages are delivered
instantly, rather than queued by a message server)

Multipoint conferencing raises some questions in my mind, but I think the
protocol would be the same.  For such an environment, would we want to send
an IM message to all participants or to a single participant?  Since it's
IP, it is actually very easy to establish a new "call" to send IM directly
to a particular participant, so perhaps any IM sent into a conference would
be seen by all conference participants (like a "chat room").  This places a
requirement on the MC to receive any such messages and then forward them to
all other conference participants.  But, perhaps there is a desire to have
the MC process the message and make some intelligent decision as to how to
treat the message.  Perhaps there is a desire to allow any one user to send
a message to any other single user via the MC?  Honestly, I've just not
explored the use cases in multipoint VC environments, nor have I heard a
request for this capability.  But, it seems interesting, nonetheless.