[itu-sg16] Instant Messaging in H.323 & Common AlertingProtocol(CAP)

Geoff Constable ccc at aber.ac.uk
Wed May 23 08:54:20 EDT 2007

Paul,
I work for the Welsh Video Network in the UK, supporting a large
distance learning and educational user group that uses H.323 VC
endpoints. While it may be off-topic for this mail-group (and I
apologise for that), I would be interested to know what sort of usage
scenarios you envisage, as we are pro-active in seeking feedback on the
service but I have not heard this as a user requirement before.

We have networked Data PC's in all VC studios and have used parrallel
(data only) NetMeeting text tool sessions to exchange control and chair
messages during large videoconferences. Our requirement there is that
the VC end-user does not see them. These are used by the session's
technical support personel.

We have also piloted server-based networked "hand-raising" software for
queing attempts to catch the chair-person's eye, or indicating to the
chair that your site wishes to have the floor (sometimes difficult in
large voice-switched sessions).

Is this the kind of thing you have in mind?

thank you,

Geoff Constable
www.wvn.ac.uk