Shaping the direction of H.325

Paul E. Jones paulej at packetizer.com
Tue Feb 27 21:40:41 EST 2007

Dear SG16 Experts,

Over the past year, we have held a few meetings to discuss the development
of a third-generation multimedia system (namely, H.325).  I have been
encouraged by the number of people who have either stated privately or
publicly that, indeed, there is a need and point to reasons why something
new needs to be considered as a replacement to the now 11 year old
second-generation systems (H.323 and SIP).

At the same time, there have been some who have maintained the position
that we have already put a lot of investment into the existing
second-generation systems and ask why we should change.  Perhaps the
simplest answer is that "technology never stops".  A slow-down in research
and development activities that aim to improve the way that we communicate
effectively means that little progress will be made and we will not
improve communication much beyond what the state of the art is today.
Innovation should never slow down and, in fact, I do not think it will.
However, innovating around the architectures and "baggage" of the
second-generation systems is proving to be a challenge, in my opinion.
The development, management, and operation of second-generation systems
are becoming more expensive and, generally, only provide basic voice
services are provided to end users.

I am trying to collect all of the requirements that have been submitted
thus far in a single document that will not be considered accepted or
rejected, but will serve as a starting point for further discussion and
elaboration.  Having read through some of the material, I still believe
that it is important to receive contributions that speak to these areas:

*	Why is it important to consider development of a third-generation
multimedia system?
*	What are the business requirements that we need to consider as
part of such an effort?
*	What problems are we trying to solve?
*	What modes of communication would we like to enable that are
simply impossible or too costly due to constraints imposed by existing
systems?

Perhaps you can also think of other fundamental questions that are still
not answered or not answered sufficiently.  In any case, we have just a
few days left before the document registration deadline, so I would like
to request that if you have some ideas to share, please request a document
number from Mr. Okubo and submit a contribution.  Even if your company is
not a member of the ITU, contributions are still welcome at this next
meeting!

Cheers!