T310 timer and PROGRESS

Christian Groves cngroves at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jan 23 18:10:54 EST 2006

G'Day Paul,

I had a look at Q.931 as the precurser to H.225 to see what the
intention was there. Whilst not in the core specification there was a
description of the behaviour in an annex described Private Network
interconnection.

          "M.6.3.1.3    In-band information provided to the physical
          PINX at the originating interface

Any progress indications shall be conveyed towards the physical PINX at
the originating interface.

On receipt of the Progress description No. 1 or No. 8 in the PROGRESS or
ALERTING message, the physical PINX at the originating interface shall
switch through in the backward direction to the allocated B-channel in
order to enable transfer of in-band tones/information, and stop timer
T310, if running."

          M.6.3.2.3    In-band information provided by the physical PINX
          at the destination interface

During call establishment, after the first message received in response
to the SETUP message, on receipt of a Progress indicator information
element with a Progress description No. 1 or No. 8 in the PROGRESS or
ALERTING message, the public network shall switch through in the
backward direction to the allocated B channel in order to enable in-band
tones/information provided from the physical PINX at the destination
interface to the calling user, stop timer T310, if running, and if
progress description No. 1 or No. 8 was received in the PROGRESS message
while T310 was running, restart timer T310.

The public network shall transfer the Progress indicator information
element towards the preceding PINX."

Cheers, Christian