Generic NAT/firewall traversal studies

OKUBO Sakae okubo at MXZ.MESH.NE.JP
Fri Feb 10 18:07:36 EST 2006

Dear Q.5/16 experts,

At the last Rapporteur meeting in Geneva (28 November - 2 December
2005), I undertook to survey the subject studies in other SGs. Here
is some information as I have collected from the NGN-GSI event last
month and Study Group documents at the ITU-T site
<http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/meetingdocs/index.asp>:

1/ SG13

NGN RACF (Resource and Admission Control Functions) in the transport
stratum contains such functions as "NAPT control", "Firewall working
mode selection". A current draft of Recommendation Y.RACF is found as
TD-WP4-81R2 of SG13 at the 16-27 January 2006 directory.

It contains definitions of NAP, NAT, NAPT control, NAT traversal in
Section 3. Section 6.2 is titled "NAPT Control and NAT Traversal
Mechanisms and Scenarios." Section 9.2 is titled "Procedures for NAPT
Control and NAT Traversal."

This work is under Question 4/13 (Requirements and framework for QoS for NGN).

2/ SG11

My understanding is that Q.5/11 (Resource control and signalling
requirements and protocols) deals with the protocols related to RACF.
Currently the following draft Recommendation is available as
TD-GEN/11-248 at the 23-27 January 2006 directory of SG11:

Draft Q.rcp3 − Resource control protocol − Protocol at the Rn/Rw
(ex-Re) interface

This should address the NAT/firewall traversal, but I cannot find
relevant descriptions there. Presumably it would be in "to be worked
out" status. Other protocols under development are listed in
TD-PLEN/11-74 of SG11.

3/ ETSI-TISPAN

ETSI-TISPN is recommending to reuse its protocols in NGN in its
liaison to SG11 and SG13 (TD-GEN/11-241), and they would be
containing the NAT/firewall traversal, I heard. But I cannot spot a
particular TISPAN specification in that liaison. It was also
mentioned that it would be H.248 and NSIS related (sorry just key
words I caught). We got approval of H.248.37 (Gateway control
protocol: IP NAPT traversal package) from the previous SG16 meeting
in July - August 2005. Probably Q.3/16 expert (Mr. Schwarz?) could
help me to clarify the situation.

4/ SG9

It has Recommendation J.192 "A Residential Gateway to support the
delivery of cable data services" apparently addressing generic
firewall management solution, managed network address translation
among other things.

OKUBO Sakae
e-mail: sokubo at waseda.jp
Visiting Professor
Graduate School of Science and Engineering
Waseda University
Waseda University, YRP Ichibankan 312        Tel: +81 46 847 5406
3-4 Hikarinooka, Yokosuka-shi, Kanagawa-ken  Fax: +81 46 847 5413
239-0847 Japan
                       H.323 videoconferencing: arranged by advice