Document number allocation request

ishikawa chiaki.ishikawa at ubin.jp
Fri Aug 25 06:48:10 EDT 2006

Dear Paul E. Jones,

I am not sure to whom I should report this network problem, but
thought you might be the first choice for me.

The ftp site which we are using, ftp3.itu.int
seems to have a very narrow bandwidth to the outside, for example, Japan.

I have no idea why it is so slow, but I monitor the transfer rate
dropping down from 1.5 Kb/sec to almost nil when I tried to
download the mentioned file today at aroun 19:45 JST (9 hours ahead of UTC).

This may be a temporary anomaly, but given the slowness I observed the other
day, this may be a symptom from long-lingerling underlying problem.

Or it may be that the bandwidth is shared by MANY connections. I have no idea.

But given this transfer rate, I feel that some participants who try to
download the presentation files in the one week window immediately prior to
the meetings may get frustrated.

Just wanted to share my finding of this narrow bandwidth problem.

Looking forward to seeing you in Ottawa.
(My colleagues and I leave for Canada this coming Sunday [Japan Standard Time].)

Sincerely
Chiaki Ishikawa