1 more; RE: Further numbers; Re: Document number requests

Paul E. Jones paulej at packetizer.com
Sat Aug 19 01:07:08 EDT 2006

Arnoud,

I feel compelled to reply to just one point:

“If Paul wants audio/t140c so much
”

Personally, I do not care whether audio/t140c or text/t140 is adopted as the
industry standard.  It makes absolutely no difference to me, as I view both
as a viable means of delivering real-time text in a way that we can use it.

What has mattered to me is delivering real-time text capability at all,
which was incredibly hard in the face of constant customer requests for
instant messaging.  I’ve given both technical and business reasons why
text/t140 cannot be universally deployed today and the near future.  I’ve
given other business reasons why text/t140 is not favored presently (cost
factors).

Working within those constraints, I wrote the audio/t140c document.  I might
be blamed for creating something evil (and I have been accused of trying to
“screw over deaf people”), but the truth is that I tried to create something
that is a stepping stone that will allow us to deploy RTT universally and
will not exclude legacy TTY devices: the roadmap that I have proposed is
easier (and therefore more likely to succeed) than taking the bigger leap to
text/t140, in my opinion.  (Note: text/t140 is now 6 years old, so I do not
think my assessment is wrong.)

I’ve said before that I think text/t140 is where we want to be.  How do you
suggest we get there?

1) We can simply demanding text/t140 support on platforms.  Some platforms
cannot support it.  Some platforms could support it, but would require
coordination with other products that also need to implement it (e.g.,
softswitches, firewalls, NAT devices, and policy enforcement devices).  You
end up having an end-to-end tug of war between product teams who wait for
the others to take the first step.  Worse, you isolate anybody using a
technology that simply cannot do it.  (How long until the last MGCP or NCS
gateway is decommissioned?)

2) Shall we demand that service providers deploy special text gateway
devices and just use V.152 to those gateways?  (That pushes all of the cost
and burden onto the service provider, rather than GW vendors.  However, it
also presents special dialing requirements or line provisioning
requirements.  For reasons that would require another full page of text, I
will say this will not work unless we remove the requirement that users be
able to go anywhere with their TTY devices.)

3) Shall we just forget about TTY devices and move everybody to IP, letting
those with TTY devices just limp along until such time as they’re tired of
being isolated or things not working part of the time?

Other ideas?

Paul

  _____