[Megaco] The ABNF coding of VALUE doesn't allow to represent ageneric UTF-8 string/char

Steve Cipolli SCipolli at RADVISION.COM
Fri Jun 24 15:14:39 EDT 2005

Angelo,

Today all ASCII characters except double quotes can be specified by the
VALUE production (some of the characters need to be in the quotedstring
form).  Adding UTF-8 does not change this.  The part of UTF-8 that is <
0x80 is exactly ASCII and does not change or need to change the way in
which VALUE is encoded.

UTF-8 characters above 0x7F are encoded as multiple bytes in which each
byte of the character is guaranteed to be > 0x7F.  So UTF-8 characters are
either < 0x80 and are simply the equivalent of ASCII or they are encoded
into multiple bytes in which every byte of the character is > 0x7F.  There
will never be a circumstance where a byte of a UTF-8 multibyte character
collides with _any_ ASCII character.

Perhaps the table below will help clarify

Scalar Value 			1st Byte 2nd Byte 3rd Byte 4th Byte
00000000 0xxxxxxx 		0xxxxxxx
00000yyy yyxxxxxx 		110yyyyy 10xxxxxx
zzzzyyyy yyxxxxxx 		1110zzzz 10yyyyyy 10xxxxxx
000uuuuu zzzzyyyy yyxxxxxx 	11110uuu 10uuzzzz 10yyyyyy 10xxxxxx

Notice that "one byte" UTF-8 characters have their high order bit cleared
(0) and that all bytes of all multi-byte UTF-8 encodings have the
high-order bit set (1).  In other words all multi-byte character's bytes
are > 0x7F.

So changing the productions to:
  VALUE                = quotedString / 1*(SafeChar / %x80-F7)
  quotedString         = DQUOTE *(SafeChar / %x80-F7 / RestChar / WSP)
DQUOTE

as Sasha Ruditsky suggests will allow UTF-8 characters to be used in
VALUEs.  ASCII characters (and UTF-8 equvialents < 0x80) that are in the
RestChar set will need to be quoted just as they have always been.  UTF-8
characters above 0x7F may or may not be quoted, just as all the ASCII
characters in the SafeChar set.

--Stephen