[SUSPECT ATTACHMENT] 8. H.248.1: Value of Statistics at a Termination Level; Re: H.248.1 Editing

Albrecht.Schwarz at alcatel.de Albrecht.Schwarz at alcatel.de
Tue Jun 21 02:10:21 EDT 2005

For information only:

I've mentioned in our "Week 5" comments that ALCATEL will submitt a
contribution to next SG16 on "H.248.1 Annex E.11 Network Package -
Recommendations for Statistics Usage".

An initial proposal (file Alcatelx1 T05-SG16-050726-D H.248.1v3 nt
Package_Ed01.doc , Alcatelx1 T05-SG16-050726-D H.248.1v3 nt
Package_Ed01.pdf) is ready and uploaded
in /av-arch/avc-site/Incoming.

Prof. Okuba, could you please move the files in directory

http://ftp3.itu.int/av-arch/avc-site/2005-2008/0507_Gen/Working_Docs/

Thoughts, comments?

Regards
Albrecht

PS
Walter, I did cover your mentioned relation in clause "E.11.5.3.2.2.1".
But I didn't consider the correlation of statistics from different
Terminations of the same Context so far in the proposal. Perhaps I'll add
subsection on that item ("which is questionable in general for statistics
without any time information, like start/end time, or time stamps per
probe
etc; ... and I'm not aware of the existence of such kind of H.248
statistics so far ..")

                      "Binz, Walter"

                      <Walter.Binz at key         To:      Albrecht
SCHWARZ/DE/ALCATEL at ALCATEL, <megaco at ietf.org>
                      mile.com>                cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject: RE:
Statistics:nt/os, nt/or;  Re: [Megaco] Call Flow Example in
                      megaco-bounces at i         H.248.1Corrigendum1
(03/2004)
                      etf.org

                      23.05.2005 15:37

Albrecht et al.,

my understanding is that nt/or & nt/os for a 64kbps physical termination
(such as in the H.248.1 call flow example) should be about 8 times nt/dur
(8 PCM samples per ms), independent of the chosen RTP/AVP (I assume that
codec and silence suppression functions are part of the ephemeral
termination).

Therefore in the H.248.1 Call Flow Example below, nt/or for the ephemeral
termination should be about 10 times lower than nt/os for the physical
termination (and NOT the same), as a G.723.1 codec was used for the call.

I would appreciate if some guidance text can be added to the nt package.

Regards,
Walter

Of
>Albrecht.Schwarz at alcatel.de
>Sent: Friday, May 20, 2005 9:12 AM
>To: megaco at ietf.org
>Subject: Statistics:nt/os, nt/or; Re: [Megaco] Call Flow Example in
>H.248.1Corrigendum1 (03/2004)
>

>Hello Alberto et al.,
>
>I think the question was not the *unit* of the time-based statistic
nt/dur
>versus the unit-less statistics nt/or & nt/os.
>Looking from a high-level perspective on the traffic volume related
>statistics nt/or & nt/os on circuit- and packet-side on the H.248 Context
>(MG) in this example, it looks like that the conservation law is invalid
>("traffic volume increase from C2P direction, whereas the volume is
>constant in the opposite direction P2C":-)
>Of course, whether the conservation law is applicable at all depends on
>codec type, silence suppression mode, RTP FEC mode, and other
>configurations.
>
>The crucial point is rather, which protocol layers have to be considered
>for these volume-based statistics? This basic question becomes more open
>due to the "generic scope" of these statistics: they are defined for ALL
>type of H.248 Terminations (physical T.: ALN, TDM; ephemeral T.: RTP,
UDP,
>IP, AAL2, AAL1, ATM, etc etc).
>
>This issue was frequently discussed in the past, also in last SG16
meeting.

>Just the note therefore that I'm currently working on a contribution on
>that subject for next SG16.
>The intent aren't any technical changes to the nt Package, I rather do
see
>a need to provide some guidance on statistics usage. Such recommendations
>may be covered in the procedural section (clause § E.11.5
>"Procedures"/H.248.1).
>
>regards
>Albrecht
>

>                      Christian Groves
>                      <christian.groves at er         To:      Puglisi
Alberto