ABOUT F.VTIP

Gunnar Hellstrom gunnar.hellstrom at OMNITOR.SE
Tue Jul 19 18:01:36 EDT 2005

Dear Qing Zhang,

I have read the F.VTIP draft and have a couple of questions/comments:

1. Scope collision with F.703 Multimedia Conversation Service Description.
It is not earlier habit of F.70x Recommendations to be network type
specific. They describe multimedia service requirements in general terms,
from the human point of view regardless of network type. F.703 already
defines and describes the Video Telephony service and should be
interpreted to define it on both circuit switched and IP networks. I think
having an IP specific definition of Video Telephony in the F.70x series
creates confusion.
Today, we also have an emphasis of evening out network influence on
service experience in the NGN activities.
I suggest that you drop the IP specifics in this draft and merge it as an
update to F.703.

2. The real time text medium is missing in the definition.
In F.703 there is a service defined called "total conversation". It is a
very impotant superset of video telephony created by adding real time
conversational text medium to video telephony. The text is transmitted
with the same flow as it is typed in order to give the call participants a
good feeling of being in contact. No irritating waiting for the other one
to complete a sentence, it all can be read by the participants as it is
produced.
This addition has been driven by requirements from people with hearing or
speech disabilities, but the feature has very general value.

SG16 has been quite aware of the need to take accessibility for people
with disabilities in account when creating Recommendations. This trend is
finally spreading to other groups, and F.703 and other mainstream
Recommendations with accessibility included form very important references
in the work with deployment of accessible mainstream services.

If advice no 1 to merge your document with F.703 is not followed, I
suggest that IP total conversation is added to the F.VTIP draft with a
description similar to the one for total conversation and the text medium
in F.703.
I suggest that you declare three media to be normal for IP Video
telephony; video, text and audio.

Best regards

Gunnar Hellström
Gunnar Hellström