GenericInformation field in contribution D.162

Albert Wong albert.wong at dilithiumnetworks.com
Fri Jul 29 13:14:42 EDT 2005

Hi, Sasha and experts,

Regarding to the presentation of the contribution D.162 at the Q.2 meeting
today, I searched too quickly to the ASN.1 structure.   Instead, the
issues that I found to adding the proposed GenericInformation field to
UserInputIndication and EndSessionCommand messages should not have
"SEQUENCE OF".  Reasons are:

-          as GenericInformation is equivalent to GenericMessage or
similar to GenericCapability, indeed no other CHOICE structure using it
has "SEQUENCE OF"

-          The use of GenericInformation in UserInputIndication and
EndSessionCommand messages are also expected to be declared in
TerminalCapabilitySet.  Since each GenericInformation message has its own
messageIdentifier, if "SEQUENCE OF" exists, the same message can have more
than one modes simultaneously, causing confusion and potentially
interoperability problem.  If more than one modes are expected, a nested
GenericParameter could be specified.

Therefore, I think it is not suitable to use "SEQUENCE OF" for the
proposed GenericInformation in UserInputIndication and EndSessionCommand
messages.

Please let me know if you have the same view.

Best Regards,

Albert.

---
Albert Wong
Principal Engineer
Dilithium Networks

TEL:   +1 707 792 3901
FAX:  +1 707 795 3744
MOB:   +1 415 299 7907
 <mailto:albert.wong at dilithiumnetworks.com>
albert.wong at dilithiumnetworks.com

Communications for a Borderless World
This electronic message contains information from Dilithium Networks Pty
Ltd which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended
to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are
not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If
you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us by
telephone or email (to the numbers or address above) immediately.