H.323 Fast Connect and Versioning

PeterP at VEGASTREAM.COM PeterP at VEGASTREAM.COM
Wed Sep 10 12:37:16 EDT 2003

Paul,

I wrote the first part of this email and then reread yours - I was bogged
down in the fax issue but I think you are actually raising a wider issue
aren't you?  See part 2 below.

-------------------------- Part 1
I don't believe that 5 versions of T38 would result in 5 offered channels.

The need for the different capability is due to the fact that what you are
offering is a payload that is encoded in a different and incompatible way.
ie its a bit like offering G.729 and the sending packets encoded according
to G.723.1,  they both represent speech but they are not going to be played
out properly.  The single extra bit introduced into the T.38 payload packet
by the 2002 ASN.1 is backwards incompatible.

The problem only exists for endpoints that only know about the 1998 ASN.1
and are unaware of the incompatibility - it is important that they do not
think they can accept the offered channel.

Once an endpoint is aware of the problem (ie it knows about the 2002 ASN.1)
then it can handle versions >= V2 (as well as V0 and V1).  Of course, this
does assume that a similar incompatibilty does not creep into the payload
ASN.1 in future versions - but that's down to careful work in the standard
development and editing stage.

I still think adding t38faxV2 (say) to DataApplicationCapability and
DataApplicationMode is the simplest solution
[ t38faxV2 would use the same definitions for t38FaxProtocol and
t38FaxProfile - its only the payload that has changed ].  This protects the
existing T.38 implementations and avoids the need to break the rule about
modifying Fast Connect proposals.

The change in the T.38 payload ASN.1 breaks the fundamental backwards
compatibility that ASN.1 is supposed to guarantee and thus whatever the
final solution there has to be an element of a hack involved - I think that
this change would isolate the change and protect the rest of the standard.

-------------------------- Part 2

The versioning issue applies to any form of payload,
voice/video/fax/whatever.

The problem is still going to exist in early versions of endpoints that
don't understand the consequence of accepting versions that they do not
understand fully.  If a new version of a codec's payload is not backwards
compatible then I would assert that it is a new codec and must be signalled
as a different capability.

The issue of multiple variations already exists anyway although not (to my
knowledge) with version numbers.
Endpoints already offer multiple packet sizes for exactly the reason that
you are not supposed to alter the Fast Connect proposal.  What happens when
somebody starts to offer g729Extensions and has to offer all the
combinations of Annexes because they don't know what the other end can use (
I make that 64 proposals in each direction without adding further annexes!
)?

I don't see that relaxing the rule about modifying the version in a Fast
Connect channel will help resolve the problem of having to offer multiple
proposals.  You either have to allow *anything* to be modified or stick to
the current rule. Exceptions allowing certain fields to be modified just
makes life much more difficult and confusing.

T.38 is the only codec I am aware of that actually uses a version number in
this manner.  Are there any others? Why was it introduced in T.38?  Perhaps
this is a lesson for the future about the value of introducing of such a
field in other codecs.

Peter