SIP beats H323?

Lyons, Terry TLyons at SONUSNET.COM
Fri Oct 31 15:03:45 EST 2003

There is a more fundamental problem: the silenceSuppression flag
in H225LogicalChannelParameters is an option set by the transmitter.
What we need -- what H.323 normally provides, what SIP now provides
by its declaration of CN in SDP -- is a receiver CAPABILITY.

The decision taken in Paris 9/2003 will do just fine: add a new
generic capability to H.245 as soon as possible.  A receiver can
then say it supports CN; a transmitter can take advantage of it.

BTW there is a related misuse of H225LogicalChannelParameters
for dynamicRTPPayloadType.  SIP gets it right, having a receiver
declare its capability to receive specified dynamic payload types
in the SDP it sends.  H323 mistakenly lets the transmitter choose
the dynamic payload type it will send.  The two don't interwork.

- tlyons at sonusnet.com +1 732 625-3003 x212

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Long [mailto:plong at PACKETIZER.COM]
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 2:16 PM
To: itu-sg16 at external.cisco.com
Subject: RE: SIP beats H323?

Francois,

I'm not too sure about the silenceSuppression flag in
H225LogicalChannelParameters:

B.3.1/H.225.0v4: "The silenceSuppression is used to indicate whether the
transmitter stops sending packets during times of silence."

Strictly speaking, it can be argued that a SID, or CN packet, is actually
transmitted "during times of silence" because it marks the start of the
silence period. In that sense, this flag should only be set if the
transmitter suppresses _all_ packets during silence the way that NetMeeting
does even for G.723.1--no audio, no data. (I think we've had this discussion
before.) If we loosen up a little to allow SIDs at the beginning of silence,
we still have a problem because multiple SIDs can be sent _during_ silence
to, for example, update the CN sample if the background noise changes. I
think yours is the general understanding of this field, but I think it would
be clearer if the above passage were changed to something like this:

"silenceSuppression indicates whether the transmitter stops sending