T.140 -> 5-bit Baudot

Rajesh Kumar rkumar at cisco.com
Fri May 23 20:28:00 EDT 2003

Team,

At the TR.30.1 meeting in Arlington, VA we discussed the conversion of
5-bit Baudot to T.140/ISO 10646. Basically, we came to the same conclusion
as Gunnar describes below. However, the simple padding of 0's does not work
for characters such as a carriage return, does it? Of course, there are
several characters in the T.140 ISO 10646-1 Basic/Extended Latin subset and
other useful T.140 characters such as a missing character that do not have
Baudot equivalents, and the consensus is to use an apostrophe for
missing/untranslatable characters in Baudot, right? So there would be more
than specifying a simple scheme that leverages the V.18 Annex A will not
suffice, right?

I am not sure if I am right here -- Fred Lucas was probably going to put
together a Baudot <-> T.140 Unicode conversion table. Fred?

Rajesh