Fwd: Hotel availability in May 2003 is tight

OKUBO Sakae okubo at MXZ.MESH.NE.JP
Thu Jan 16 12:13:14 EST 2003

Dr. OKUBO,

Thank you for your efforts. This appears to capture rather completely
the sum of comments and interests in this issue. We plan to submit a
draft recommendation at the upcoming meeting in San Jose that addresses
these issues, along with the normative organization that was suggested
by numerous Study Group members.

I would like to add that we have discussed items 2-5 and 2-7 at length
and have concluded that these attributes that we originally proposed,
while useful, should not be included in the standard. The reasons are
that in numerous other similar standards this information is ommitted,
and that the information may only be relevant to certain implementations.

They are quoted here for reference ********
2-5/      Include H.323 zone information - such as the zone
administrators, network identity of the gatekeeper and resources
associated with the zone. [AVD-2199]

2-7/      Enable a "whois" functionality for H.323 zones, so that one
may query the network and find contact information for a particular
H.323 zone, and published resources associated with the zone.
[AVD-2199]
****************

Also, there has arisen some concern about item 3-4:
3-4/      It should be possible to use the directory to manage the
services that are authorized for each endpoint or user once
authentication is achieved. [D271]

To solve this problem using LDAP, we have created an attribute called
h323IdentityAuthorization. However, this attribute does not exist
anywhere else in the h.323 protocol. So we are not merely representing
an attribute that is already defined, but creating a new functionality.
Many of the developers I have spoken to are supportive of this idea, as
it gives them a direct place to store information about what services
each endpoint is entitled to access. Thus, it has direct commercial
value. On the hand, from a more theoritical perspective, in the creation
of large scale systems, it may be more appropriate to handle
authorization through the use of an external authorization server. In
that case, the h323IdentityAuthorization attribute would not be used.

The advantage of including this attribute in the standard is that each
vendor could refer to it by name, opening up the possibility that
multiple gatekeepers could interact with the same LDAP server without
change to the LDAP server, by means of a simple mapping. If we do not
standardize the name, the LDAP schema would have to be redefined for
each gatekeeper. The disadvantage is that the attribute may not always
be used.

I would like to get feedback from the Study Group 16 members as to
whether they feel the h323IdentityAuthorization attribute should be
included in the standard.

Best Regards,
Tyler Johnson

listserv at lists.intel.com