H323 for Instant Message and Presence information suppo rt?

Ahmar Ghaffar ghaffar at SNOM.DE
Thu Feb 13 10:04:45 EST 2003

Markku,

I gave some thought to this idea and i discussed this with Paul too a
couple of months ago. My opinion is that Instant Messaging would be a bit
too shall we say "heavy" on the H.323 protocol. Besides i think the scope of
IM and SMS is quite different. Of course you can incorporate IM in H.323 but
the question is, is this service really needed in H.323? What do you think?
. The reason i took up SMS was that this service is already quite popular
(also MMS now) and other signalling protocols are supporting somewhat
similar services. If H.323 is to survive then it has to have a similar
service. Another reason was that many vendors are supporting SMS in their
own proprietary ways, so i thought why not define a standard which everybody
can use.

So in my opinion IM is not really so important from H.323 perspective.
However i would give some serious thought to Presence Notification. Because
this would be a really useful service. Maybe i can take this up when we are
done with the SMS spec.  :-)

Regards
Ahmar