FW: [MMUSIC] Seeking input from G.726 ADPCM implementers

Tom-PT Taylor taylor at NORTELNETWORKS.COM
Thu Oct 17 14:47:59 EDT 2002

Actually, all I meant to do was to provide a neutral summary.  Consultations
within my organization seem to tend toward the point of view that the
discrepancy is not a big deal and it would be better to preserve backward
compatibility.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rajesh Kumar [mailto:rkumar at cisco.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 2:35 PM
To: Taylor, Tom-PT [CAR:B602:EXCH]
Cc: tsg11bicc at ties.itu.ch; tsg11q15 at ties.itu.ch; ITU-SG16 at echo.jf.INTEL.COM;
avt at ietf.org; mmusic at ietf.org; hwildfeu at cisco.com; mgarakan at cisco.com;
ddeliber at cisco.com; Michael Frendo; Cary FitzGerald; Richard Platt;
oran at cisco.com; mmostafa at cisco.com
Subject: Re: FW: [MMUSIC] Seeking input from G.726 ADPCM implementers

Steve and AVT/MMUSIC colleagues,
Our position, which has not changed since we brought up this issue to the
notice of the IETF,  is similar to Tom's. We would like to see the
packetization of G.726 over RTP be made identical to what is defined for
AAL2 in the ITU I.366.2 recommendation. In this regard, we strongly
recommend that the audio MIME subtypes G726-16, G726-24, G726-32, and
G726-40 be aligned to the ITU I.366.2 recommendation.  This  alignment would
include the static payload type 2.

If there is a need to interoperate with the "other," non-ITU  packing
scheme, we recommend that new MIME types be defined for those non-ITU
schemes  rather than for ITU-compatible schemes, which we think should be
associated with the current MIME definitions.

Rajesh Kumar
Cisco Systems