Use of RTCP statistics for estimating QoS of VoIP

Alan Clark alan at TELCHEMY.COM
Thu Nov 7 09:51:28 EST 2002

Paul,

I have no doubt that the proper procedures were followed and am not
questioning that aspect.  I was active in one of SG16's predecessor
committees for ten years and at various times an editor and rapporteur, and
hence am sympathetic to the need to be fair, reasonable and "procedural".

We have been studying the nature and source of IP network impairments and
their effects on the performance of VoIP for over three years - basically
that is all we do :-).  We have done extensive analysis of the full range of
G series CODECS, the various GSM codecs and a number of proprietary
algorithms under a range of packet loss conditions.  We've measured and
modeled the behavior of fixed and adaptive jitter buffers of various types.
We built a VoIP service modeling environment using NS2 with MMPP traffic
models and used this for analyzing the precise behavior of individual calls
under known traffic conditions or network faults. We have analyzed RTP
traces from a wide variety of sources.....  Our algorithms are in use by a
number of major service providers - due in part to the way in which we view
IP network behavior as time varying/ transient/ bursty and hence produce
metrics in a way that reflects this.
The result of this extensive research activity is (I hope) that we have a
deep technical understanding coupled with field experience on the merits of
different approaches.  We have also discussed this topic with others working
in the field - in both industry and academic research groups - and find that
our observations match very well with those of other groups that have
studies this issue deeply.

As we discuss the issue of VoIP service quality monitoring with equipment
vendors, enterprise network managers and service providers we often get
asked the question "why aren't RTCP statistics good enough" and also see
products on the market that use RTCP statistics to estimate VoIP service
quality (and even try to estimate discard rates from jitter buffers!!).
Obviously, from my comments on RFC1889 yesterday, we think that RTCP
statistics are only adequate at a gross level - i.e. if average packet loss
is 30% call quality must be bad but you could not determine if a call with
an average loss rate of 2% was better or worse than one of 3%.

I am sure that if anyone else were in our position then they would similarly
feel very concerned at the idea that it was acceptable to incorporate the
RFC1889 metrics into a new ITU Recommendation that was positioned as a VoIP
QoS monitoring standard.  Many manufacturers and service providers do not
have the technical expertize to evaluate the merits and detailed content of
international standards, particularly in a complex area such as this, and
tend to assume that the content is ok "because it is in a standard".  This
would naturally tend to proliferate the use of these metrics as an
acceptable approach - even though we know that they are inadequate.

I hasten to add that I am not criticizing you, the Rapporteur's Group, the
SG16 management or the ITU .. this (in my opinion) happens to be one of the
complex issues in which what appears to be the correct and proper course of
action can lead to a problematic result.

Regards

Alan Clark