Use of RTCP statistics for estimating QoS of VoIP

Robert R. Gilman rrg at AVAYA.COM
Wed Nov 6 20:13:16 EST 2002

Alan-
Mike Buckley brought up the same questions you raise at the last SG16 meeting.
I don't believe anyone objects to your arguments, and, in fact, the resulting
work, H.460.9, was modified to permit extension to other measures and the
exclusion of the current, IETF-standardized, measures.  Once the IETF draft
you reference becomes a standard, it will be easy to refer to the resulting
RFC and to incorporate the resulting measures as appropriate.  In the meantime,
you have the option to use the existing measures and, through the definition
of non-standard elements, any other measures you wish to implement on a
permanent
or trial basis.  It seemed better to set the framework now, so that
implementation
and use can begin, and to do so in such a way that future improvements may be
incorporated quickly and easily.  Does this make sense?
-Bob
Bob Gilman       rrg at avaya.com      +1 303 538 3868

listserv at lists.intel.com