Use of RTCP statistics for estimating QoS of VoIP

Alan Clark alan at TELCHEMY.COM
Thu Nov 7 09:49:57 EST 2002

Bob

I appreciate that a mechanism was provided to permit extension of H.460.9
and that it was agreed to incorporate the RTCP Extensions, once
standardized.  This does make a lot of sense and would definitely accomodate
the new metrics when available.

The reason behind my email yesterday was that we often find that equipment
manufacturers, service providers and network managers don't understand this
area as well as those who are actively conducting R&D in this area, and
hence in this case they may assume that RFC1889 metrics are "good" for
monitoring VoIP QoS since they are contained in H.460.9.  This is already a
continual re-education process with the metrics in RFC1889 .. their
inclusion in H.460.9 will make the task even more difficult.

People within the industry have great respect for the ITU, understand that
there is an extensive process of technical discussion and review that is
part of the process of developing ITU standards, and hence place
considerable faith in the technical content of ITU Recommendations.  In this
specific case H.460.9 contains metrics which are known to be inadequate for
the purpose of measuring VoIP QoS and hence there is a risk of deployment of
an incorrect or inappropriate element due to its incorporation in an ITU
Recommendation.

I am not trying to be "difficult" but tried to input essentially the same
viewpoints prior to the SG16 meeting and am genuinely concerned over the
outcome.

Regards

Alan Clark