Documents for the Bruges meeting

OKUBO Sakae okubo at GITI.WASEDA.AC.JP
Thu May 9 06:57:36 EDT 2002

Dear experts,

my H.501 final draft contained  a placeholder "annex B" for collecting
"generic data" (i.e. standardized GEF identifier values). Upon advice by
TSB, this annex will be removed in the published version 1 of H.501 since it
contained no useful text.

The initial idea was to include here material from H.225.0 annex G as soon
as version 2 of annex G is finished. But now I have some doubts whether
H.501 is the right place for such a data register. A repository of generic
data should at least include also values assigned in GEF standards
(H.460.x). Wouldn't the H.460 series be a better place for this?

At the top level we have assigned so far:
- feature ID "0" for H.225.0 Annex G profiles
- feature IDs "n" for H.460.n
(is this the complete list?)

Each top-level feature ID opens a local name space for
EnumeratedParameter-IDs specified for that specific feature. Since these are
defined locally there is no danger of collisions.

At least the top-level IDs should be maintained at a central place to avoid
collisions, especially if such IDs can be assigned outside H.460.n standards
as well (is this generally the case, or is H.225.0 annex G the only
exception?). Of course such a repository could also list the locally
assigned EnumeratedParameter-IDs for each registered feature, to provide a
quick reference.

So the question is, do people see the need for a generic-data register, and
if yes, in which form? H.460.x? Or in an IG? H.501 does not seem to be the
proper place.

Regards,
Ernst Horvath
Siemens AG