Rec. H.501 and "GEF" parameter repository

Horvath Ernst ernst.horvath at SIEMENS.COM
Wed May 8 08:08:40 EDT 2002

Guys,

A little late, yet, my $0.02.

Having available a selection of destinations is like having available a
selection of routes in traditional (circuit switched) telephony. The Basic
Call Model provides for the obtaining of the route list (from Number
Analysis if I remember) and the placing of the call on a selected route.
The result of the call attempt may cause the call to be aborted (e.g. cause
= BUSY) or an alternate route selected (e.g. cause = Network Congestion)
and retried. This process is defined elsewhere (q.76x, Q.1224, ETSI 3xx
xxx) however, there are H.323 specific instances (e.g. reason = Gateway
Resourses).

Text might be added to refer to the "specified elsewhere" places, and to
spell out the H.323 specific instances.

Of course, time may alter the process, such as if failure to establish a
TCP connection is by timeout (which can be quite long) might result in
timer expiry for call establishment.

Douglas