Including RTCP report packets in IRR

frank.derks at PHILIPS.COM frank.derks at PHILIPS.COM
Tue Jan 8 09:47:41 EST 2002

Pete,

Although it appears in a section dealing primarily with Fast Connect and
H.245 Tunneling, the following requirement is not qualified in any way.
Moreover, the sentences that precede it talk about _initiating_ a separate
H.245 channel, not just _switching_ to a separate channel, so I don't
believe this requirement is dependent on there first being a tunneled H.245
channel or the use of Fast Connect.

8.2.3/H.323v4: "An endpoint receiving a Facility message with a
facilityReason of startH245 which has not already independently initiated
the separate H.245 channel shall open the H.245 channel using the
h245Address specified."

Therefore, in answer to your questions,

1. yes, Facility with reason=startH245 is appropriate at any time, and
2. yes, an EP is required to open an H.245 channel as specified in 8.2.3.

Paul Long
ipDialog, Inc.