AW: Security in Inter Gatekeeper Communication

Euchner Martin Martin.Euchner at ICN.SIEMENS.DE
Mon Sep 10 06:01:55 EDT 2001

Ivan,

it is my understanding that LRQ/LCF for inter GK communication does not scale very well. Thus, H.225.0 Annex G is the more appropriate approach that should be taken. However, it is also true, that H.225.0 Annex G does not run between GKs but rather only between border elements. To be precise, an external protocol between an GK and a BE is currently undefined; better think of a co-located GK/BE entity without any in-between protocol.

Regarding security, H.235 Annex G for securing H.MMS.1 mobility is being worked on and will describe also security protection of inter-BE messages similar to H.235 Annex D. To my knowledge, this is currently the only security profile that is of interest between BEs, thus there is no trial and error to be expected. As the shared secret between both BEs has to be administered anyway, so can the security profile be configured as well. Nevertheless, the security profile itself is identified through a set of OIDs.

I hope this answers your questions.

Kind Regards,

Martin Euchner.