Implementors Guide not normative?

Paul Long plong at IPDIALOG.COM
Wed Oct 10 12:54:49 EDT 2001

Terry,

Or we could just maintain the status quo by all agreeing with a wink ;-)
that IGs _are_ normative regardless of what Resolution 1 says.

Paul Long
ipDialog, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Terry L Anderson [mailto:tla at lucent.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2001 10:11 AM
To: Paul Long
Cc: ITU-SG16 at mailbag.cps.INTEL.COM
Subject: Re: Implementors Guide not normative?

Recommendation A.3 is no longer in affect (status: withdrawn) but Resolution
1 of the
new Study Period WTSA-2000,
    Resolution 1 – Rules of procedure of the ITU Telecommunication
Standardization
Sector (ITU-T)
has similar definitions (with a little less detail of process).

9.7 Correction of defects
When a study group identifies the need for implementors to be made aware of
defects
(e.g. typographical errors, editorial errors, ambiguities, omissions or
inconsistencies and technical errors) in a Recommendation, one mechanism
that may be
employed is an Implementors' Guide. This Guide is an historical document
recording all
identified defects and their status of correction, from their identification
to final
resolution, and would be issued in the study group's COM series of
documents.
Implementors' Guides shall be approved by the study group and made available
to the
public.

It is still clear that IGs simply record to correction process and are not
themselves
normative corrections.

I agree with Paul that we need to issue a Corrigendum or a new version with
the IG's
corrections before they become normative.  We should do this as quickly as
legally
possible, which I believe is to prepare something for which "consent" can be
approved
at SG16 in Feb 2002 and then approved by AAP a few weeks later.  It seems to
me the
large number of changes accumulated to date suggest that a V2 would be alot
easier to
use (I believe a Corrigendum would still be published as differences).
Perhaps we
should then have a strategy of issuing Corrigenda periodically for V2 rather
than only
IGs.

[snip]

Terry L Anderson              mailto:tla at lucent.com
Tel:908.582.7013   Fax:908.582.6729
Lucent Technologies/INS/Voice Over IP Access Networks
Rm 2B-121, 600 Mountain Av, Murray Hill, NJ 07974
http://its.lucent.com/~tla (Lucent internal) http://www.gti.net/tla

listserv at mailbag.intel.com