Implementors Guide not normative?

Tom-PT Taylor taylor at NORTELNETWORKS.COM
Wed Oct 10 15:01:11 EDT 2001

Would it make sense for the IETF to apply its process to take an integrated
document through to RFC?  Then it would be clear that H.248v2 is truly an
up-version with new features.

-----Original Message-----
From: Terry L Anderson [mailto:tla at LUCENT.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2001 2:07 PM
To: ITU-SG16 at MAILBAG.INTEL.COM
Subject: Re: Implementors Guide not normative?

True!  Since most of us thought it always was.  But it might be better to
fix
our process properly.

Q.14/16 folks seem to use "Amendments".  T.38 for example, has Ammendments
1,2,3
& 4 approved.  These contain additional Annexes as well as modifications to
T.38, often using language little different from our IG.  Perhaps, our IG
could
be simply converted into an Amendment periodically and approved.  (Actually
it
would need to be split into separate amendments for each recommendation).
These
would need to follow AAP rules for approval rather than simply being
approved at
a SG meeting.  Amendments are supposes to be limited to no more often than
every
two years (like new versions), but there is an exception for minor purely
editorial changes or corrections due to an "oversight", so I think we would
have
no restrictions on the changes we have been putting into IGs.

A.11 states that
"Minor modifications may be covered by publishing amendments or corrigenda
rather than reissuing the complete Recommendation."

I cannot find a defined difference between "amendments" and "corrigenda".

Paul Long wrote:

> Terry,
>
> Or we could just maintain the status quo by all agreeing with a wink ;-)
> that IGs _are_ normative regardless of what Resolution 1 says.
>
> Paul Long
> ipDialog, Inc.

Resolution