Test - ITU-SG16 working?

Meyer, Greg W greg.w.meyer at INTEL.COM
Fri Nov 16 11:41:01 EST 2001

All ITU-SG16 Mail List Subscribers:

The October trial for the new procedures has concluded. The new procedures
include a "confirmation" message from LISTSERV that must be replied to with
an "OK" in the body of the message. The goal was to reduce the number of
unauthorized mailings to this list (spam and viruses). After monitoring the
mail list, appears we have met this goal.

During the trial, there have been no unauthorized messages (not counting a
few test messages). Conversely, there was one reported case when LISTSERV
did not respond with the confirmation message within 10 minutes. I believe
this was due to the Nimda virus on our servers at that time (we've since
cleaned all that up). I will continue to monitor this parameter carefully.
If you send a message to the list and don't receive the confirmation message
from LISTSERV quickly, please let me know.

There was also one known usage error when replying to the confirmation
message. Just to be sure, type "OK" without the quote marks on the first
line of your confirmation reply to LISTSERV with nothing else on that line.
I will also look into clarifying the subscription and other auto-response
messages to reduce confusion.

We will continue to use the new two-step procedure on this mail list. This
method has shown that it offers higher security with low user impact and
minimal administration. If you have any comments, please forward them to me.

Best Regards,

Greg Meyer
Intel Corporation
greg.w.meyer at intel.com