[SIP] RE: PROPOSED JOINT ACTIVITY ON A GENERIC PROTOCOL MECHANISM FOR E ND-TO-END QOS SERVICE CONTROL

Roy, Radhika R, ALCTA rrroy at ATT.COM
Thu May 31 13:51:09 EDT 2001

Hi, Baker:

It appears that a good amount discussion can be started to answer your
questions (what has being discussed for the last couple of years in the
ITU-T and TIPHON in particular). I am not trying to do so. Let me answer
your questions summarizing the key points as follows:

1. Broadly, all applications can be considered in two categories: a.
Real-time (e.g., audio, video [of H.323/SIP]) and b. Non-Real-time (e.g.,
data applications like file transfer, WWW, Mail, etc. - can a part of
H.323/SIP).

The performance parameters of both real-time (audio, video) and
non-real-time (data) traffic can be abstracted in an universal way that can
be used by all applications (e.g., H.323, SIP, WWW, mail, etc).

However, the signaling messages used by each application are
application-specific although the QOS parameters used by all of them still
remain same (e.g., H.323 might use RAS/Q.931/Annex-G/H.245 signaling
messages, SIP might use SDP).

The QOS signaling messages that use QOS parameters can be termed as the
application layer QOS signaling messages and are sent on end-to-end basis
and the values of those QOS parameters do not change no matter what may be
the underlying transport networks (e.g., IP, ATM).

2. The network layer QOS signaling messages carried over the network may not
be end-to-end significance. For example, an end-to-end path of an IP network
may consist of RSVP, DiffServ, MPLS, and RSVP. So, the network layer QOS
parameters may get translated between the source-destination path and may
not remain the same what has been negotiated on end-to-end basis in the
application layer (item 1).

The problems that are being addressed are as follows:

A. How to develop the end-to-end QOS signaling mechanisms in the application
layer

B. How to relate the application layer QOS signaling to the network layer
QOS signaling (e.g., RSVP, DifServ, MPLS, etc.) so that one-to-one
consistency remain between the application and network layer QOS parameters.

Hope this may clarify some of your questions.

Best regards,
Radhika R. Roy
AT&T