AW: Emergency Services and Service classes

Horvath Ernst ernst.horvath at SIEMENS.AT
Thu May 3 12:25:11 EDT 2001

Gary,

after skimming over your contribution, two immediate comments:

1) QoS signalling within your serviceClass may overlap (or even conflict)
with  what will eventually appear in H.323 annex N. We should try to have
QOS information in one place only. ServiceClass is one possible place, but
then we should make sure that it covers also the requirements of annex N.

2) For the terminating side, the primary goal should be protection. In other
words, the called party would be protected against calls below a certain
class of service ("do not disturb unless it's urgent"), and existing calls
would not be affected unless resources are needed for a call with higher
priority.
It may even be worthwhile to specify separate protection levels separate
from priority levels.
For example, the call intrusion supplementary service recently approved by
SG16 (Rec. H.450.11) follows such a concept: the caller is only allowed to
intrude on an established call if his capability level is higher than the
combined protection levels of the called party and the remote party of the
established call.

Ernst Horvath
Siemens AG