The use of statusDeterminationNumber in masterSlaveDeterminat ion

Frank Derks frank.derks at PHILIPS.COM
Thu May 3 10:23:15 EDT 2001

Mike,

the figure only partly solves the problem. The text that I referred
to does not reflect what is in the figure, so this should be corrected.

Furthermore, since the values that statusDeterminationNumber can take
on are in the range 0..(2^24-1). The "modulo operation" with 2^24
has no effect whatsoever.

It would seem that the real intent is that the _absolute_ value of the
difference between the received statusDeterminationNumber and the
locally generated statusDeterminationNumber determines which party is
to become the master and which party is to becomes the slave. If the
difference is smaller than 2^23 then the party that received the
masterSlaveDetermination message becomes the master. Otherwise it
becomes the slave. In the case that the two numbers are equal, the
result is indeterminate.

Regards,

Frank

Frank Derks                    |Tel  +31 35 6893238 |
ServWare                       |Fax  +31 35 6891030 |
Philips Business Communications|P.O. Box 32         |
                               |1200 JD  Hilversum  |
                               |The Netherlands     |
E-mail: mailto:frank.derks at philips.com              |
WWW: http://www.sopho.philips.com                   |