AW: Conflicting text in H.323 concerning the requirement for esta blishing a H.245 control channel??

Horvath Ernst ernst.horvath at SIEMENS.AT
Thu Mar 22 10:57:42 EST 2001

Frank, Roni et al.,

I like Roni's summary. In my opinion the procedures (in section 8) are clear
enough. But section 6.2 talks about terminal functionality, and this got out
of line with new options added over time. How about the following guidelines
for improving on the text in 6.2.8:

1. All terminals shall support H.245 control, as far as required by the
terminal type (e.g. annex-F-SETs need only a subset for fastStart).

2. Except for SETs, a terminal shall be "able" to open an H.245 control
channel at any time during a call.

3. Encapsulation/tunneling may be used instead of the H.245 control channel
if supported at both ends.

4. The terminal shall associate exactly one H.245 "session" with each call,
but the transport method for the H.245 control information can be chosen as
desired and also changed during a call (fastStart / tunnel / H.245 control
channel - the rules for switching from one method to another are given in
section 8).

Regards,
Ernst Horvath
Siemens AG