sourceInfo in LRQ

Paul E. Jones paulej at PACKETIZER.COM
Thu Jun 14 13:15:06 EDT 2001

Francois,

I agree with you that what we should do is modify the text to be a bit more tolerant of what "source" means.  It might be the source Gatekeeper or it might be the source endpoint's alias.  It is possible to find either there today (since either an endpoint or a Gatekeeper may source an LRQ), so the text should reflect that.

Paul
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Francois Audet
  To: ITU-SG16 at mailbag.cps.INTEL.COM
  Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 2:40 PM
  Subject: sourceInfo in LRQ

  Hi all,

  The sourceInfor in LRQ states that it should be the alias address of the originator of the LRQ (as opposed to the originator of the call).

  One of the consequence of this is that if an endpoint sends an ARQ to its gatekeeper, and its gatekeeper can not resolve it, the LRQ that it will send to other gatekeepers may not have enough information to resolve the address. For example, if the number was a "local" number or a "national" number, the gatekeeper that receives the LRQ will not have enough context (where is the originator of the call) to resolve the address (like the country code of the calling user to figure out the contry code of the called user).

  Anybody has any views on this?

  My take is that the LRQ.sourceInfo should really reflect the alias address of the originator of the call (the initial ARQ) as opposed to the gatekeeper that originated the LRQ. An alternative would be to define a new field, but I'm not too keen on this approach since it won't work until H.323v5...

  ----
  François AUDET, Nortel Networks
  mailto:audet at nortelnetworks.com, tel:+1 408 495 3756