Private telephone number in H.323v4

Chris Wayman Purvis cwp at ISDN-COMMS.CO.UK
Thu Jun 21 04:26:40 EDT 2001

My two penn'orth...

I see this discussion as indicative of a trend.  My understanding of the
philosophy, from the olden days (v1 etc!) is that you use the Q.931 IEs
where possible, and the H.225.0 UUIE elements when there is no suitable
Q.931 IE.  There seems to be a subtle shift towards using UUIE elements more
often.
Now I don't have any particular opinion as to whether this subtle shift is a
good thing or a bad thing (there's a trade off between the possibility of
making the UUIEs more expressive against the potential extra message size
and processing introduced in adding UUIEs) - I just feel it's worth mentioning!

Oh, and on this particular case, surely receivers need to look in all
possible places, so it makes little difference where the transmitter puts
this particular information!

Regards,
Chris

--
Dr Chris Purvis -- Development Manager
ISDN Communications Ltd, The Stable Block, Ronans, Chavey Down Road

listserv at mailbag.intel.com