FW: [OpenH323]Fast Connect & H245 tunneling: do they really work?

Agboh, Charles Charles.Agboh at EBONE.COM
Sun Jun 24 15:05:39 EDT 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Alain Daigle [mailto:daiglea at memotec.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2001 3:14 PM
To: openh323 at openh323.org
Subject: Re: [OpenH323]Fast Connect & H245 tunneling: do they really
work?

Hi,

H.323v2 seems to indicate that with faststart, the opening of a H245 channel
is optional. Like in the following sections:

8.1.7.2  Switching to H.245 Procedures
After establishment of a call using the Fast Connect procedure, either
endpoint may determine that it is necessary to invoke call features that
require the use of H.245 procedures.

8.2.3  Switching to a Separate H.245 Connection
When H.245 encapsulation or Fast Connect is being used, either endpoint may
choose to switch to using the separate H.245 connection at any time.

And in the H323 implementation guide (from packetizer), there is a section
on how a fastconnect call with no h245 channel should be terminated.

Call Termination
2a. The following is how a call shall be terminated if the control channel
is not open (Fast Connect was used and no control channel was ever
established) but the call-signaling channel is open. Note that, in this
case, only the initiating side is required to send ReleaseComplete. I assume
that it is an oversight that the two cases are not consistent. I also assume
that the remote EP will close the call-signaling channel upon receipt of
ReleaseComplete and consider the call terminated.

But if the remote is asking for a h245 channel (separate or tunneled) after
the call is established, it's mandatory to support that...

Alain Daigle