Private telephone number in H.323v4

Francois Audet audet at nortelnetworks.com
Tue Jun 19 19:27:08 EDT 2001

Hi,

I just realize a contradiction in H.323v4 and H.225.0v4 concerning the
encoding of "private telephone numbers" (i.e., the type we all use at work):

*	H.225.0v4 says that "Private telephone numbers" shall be encoded in
the UUIE as private numbers, and NOT in the Q.931 information elements
(Calling party IE, etc.). Let's call this the "Bob method". See Table
18/H.225.0 Note 1.
*	H.323v4 says that the Q.931 information element is used for
"telephone numbers", and that the UUIE is used for things that are not
telephone numbers. Let's call this the "Glenn method". See H.323v4/7.8.2.1
and 7.8.2.2.

There is no conflict with both method for "public" telephone number, but
there is a conflict for "private" telephone numbers.

Which method is right, Bob's or Glenn's?

----
François AUDET, Nortel Networks
mailto:audet at nortelnetworks.com <mailto:audet at nortelnetworks.com> , tel:+1
408 495 3756