H.323 (8.1) Phase A - Call Setup

Peter Price PeterP at VEGASTREAM.COM
Fri Jul 20 09:02:30 EDT 2001

Paul,

I don't understand why the intent was Alerting.

"If an endpoint can respond to a Setup message with a Connect, Call
Proceeding, or Release Complete within 4 seconds, it is not required to send
the Alerting message."

Why, if an endpoint can respond to a Setup with a Call Proceeding within 4
seconds, should it not have to send the Alerting?  How will the user get a
ringing sound in his ear then?

I know that Alerting (and Connect) also stops T303.
However, in Table 9-1/Q.931 (refernced by H.225 (7.5)), receipt of an
Alerting starts T301, while receipt of Call Proceeding starts T310.  I
realise that T310 is not explicitly required by H.323 but the second para of
(8.1.8.2) implies that the mechanism it represents IS required (I know its
says should and not shall - perhaps this is a second error)

"A Gateway should send a Call Proceeding message after it receives the Setup
message (or after it receives ACF) if it expects more than 4 seconds to
elapse before it can respond with Alerting, Connect, or Release Complete."

The specific reason for sending Call Proceeding here is to stop T303 timing
out and the call failing.

The point is that for H.323 endpoints Call Proceeding is superfluous, if a
terminal device cannot respond with an Alerting or Release Complete within 4
seconds it has problems [ or it's running windows (-; ] and the call
probably should fail.  However, gateways are different. If they interface to
a large network then the Alerting must not be sent to the caller until an
appropriate message has been received [ also in (8.1) "In the case of
interworking through a Gateway, the Gateway ***shall send Alerting when***
it receives a ring indication from the SCN."  ie WHEN it receives the ring
indication and not before ] and this might take longer than 4 seconds -
hence the need for gateways to send Call Proceeding and the relevance of 4
seconds in the sentence in question.

My original assertion that the text in (8.1) is incorrect stands.

"If an endpoint can respond to a Setup message with a Connect, Alerting, or
Release Complete within 4 seconds, it is not required to send the Call
Proceeding message."

Alternatively, if an endpoint *cannot* respond to a Setup message with a
Connect, Alerting, or Release Complete within 4 seconds, it *should*
(shall?) send a Call Proceeding message.

The only other interpretation I can come up with is that the intent was
"If an endpoint can respond to a Setup message with a Connect within 4
seconds, it is not required to send the Alerting message."
If it responds with a Release Complete within 4 seconds it's not going to
send an Alerting!

I've just seen Chris's reply as well - I think my observations still stand.
I think in fact that the whole paragraph is poorly structured, mixing a
number of different ideas.
I was juts trying to suggest the simplest change.

Peter

listserv at mailbag.intel.com