H.323 (8.1) Phase A - Call Setup

Chris Wayman Purvis cwp at ISDN-COMMS.CO.UK
Fri Jul 20 08:56:30 EDT 2001

Hi Pete (long time, no see!),

The sentence "An endpoint shall be capable of sending the Alerting message"
is surely bogus.  For example in the case of an answering machine there can
be no requirement to be capable of sending Alerting - it must be acceptable
to make the decision on receipt of the setup message either to accept the
call (Connect) or not (ReleaseComplete).  Similarly there is no absolute
requirement to be able to send CallProceeding.

I suggest you formally propose the removal of the offending sentence as an
item for the Implementor's Guide.

Regards,
Chris

--
Dr Chris Purvis -- Development Manager
ISDN Communications Ltd, The Stable Block, Ronans, Chavey Down Road

listserv at mailbag.intel.com