H.225- CRV

Chris Wayman Purvis cwp at isdn-comms.co.uk
Thu Jan 18 09:07:26 EST 2001

Paul,

> Considering that V1 only allowed a single call over a single TCP connection,
REALLY?
First I've heard of it!  Clarifications were added later as to the mechanics,
but I don't believe multiple calls over single call signalling connection was
ever forbidden!

> what would have been the point of a CRV in the Setup message?  If they could
> all be the same, it makes them worthless.  (Of course, I've found CRVs in
> packet-switched systems mostly worthless, but not entirely.)
It was part of a job lot stolen from Q.931, remember!
Besides, I'm surprised at you suggesting that nothing in H.323v1 was
worthless...

> From H.323:
> ``One CRV is used to associate the call signalling messages. This CRV shall
> be used in all call signalling messages between two entities (endpoint to
> Gatekeeper, endpoint-to-endpoint, etc.) related to the same call.''
>
> Note the text that says "between two entities".  If the intent was that
> these values were only unique "per connection", it would say so.  The CRVs
> are unique between two entities.
Yup.  All messages between two given entities associated with a given call have
the same CRV.  That does not imply that all messages between two given entities
with the same CRV are associated with the same call (i.e. => is not the same as
<=).

> From H.225.0:
> ``Note that the CRV is only unique on a particular part of a call, e.g.
> between two terminals, or between a terminal and a gatekeeper. If a given
> terminal has two calls in the same conference, each shall have the same
> conference ID but different CRVs.''
>
> The latter sentence is more important: when communicating between two
> entities, it states clearly that there must be different CRVs.  Again, with
> V1 those two calls would have been using different TCP connections, yet the
> text clearly says the CRVs must be different.
This is much more pertinent!
It's also impossible to be certain about.  What constitutes a different
"terminal" in this context?  For example, if a single piece of equipment has
two IP addresses, is it one terminal or two?

> Now, I may be wrong-- this is just my interpretation of the text.  I'd like
> to hear other comments.
It's opened a can of worms, for sure.
Maybe CRV is only unique per combination of IP addresses, ignoring port
numbers.  Seems strange to me, but possible.  I really don't recall anything
ever having said that only a single call was allowed per TCP call signalling
connection, however.

Philosophical question (not seriously intended for detailed discussion):
If the call signalling connection were dropped (still, I believe, permitted,
although not recommended), and a fresh call signalling connection made between
the same address/port pairs, is this the same connection?  Are these the same
endpoints as those involved in the initial call?  Consider a signalling proxy
(no media, doesn't handle H.245 directly within the same box on the same IP
address), which crashes, and has its IP address taken over by a similar
signalling proxy, all while a "call" is going on...

Regards,
Chris