H.323's "keepAlive" mechanism

Jean-Francois Mule jfmule at clarent.com
Mon Jan 29 17:42:43 EST 2001

I agree with Chris.
Some other sig protocols use the value of 0 in registration msgs to ask for
unregistration or indicate registration has expired.  This is consistent
with the definition of ttl and h323 implementors should agree on that.
Even though h225 does provide urq msg to properly unregister a terminal,
thus permitting to use the 0 value to indicate that the ras capability of
the endpoint for keepalives, allowing to use the value of ttl==0 to indicate
that keepalives are not supported is *not* recommended.

Jean-Francois Mule.

listserv at mailbag.intel.com