AW: Understanding the ROS{} type (from X.880)

Horvath Ernst ernst.horvath at SIEMENS.AT
Thu Jan 25 03:46:19 EST 2001

Frank,

in ASN.1 notation parameters are enclosed in curly brackets. In the
particular case of the ROS type, each parameter represents a "value set",
which itself is indicated by curly brackets. Therefore the nesting of 2 (or
more) sets of brackets.

The parameters in the ROS type are used as constraints - indicated by round
brackets further down in the module. The meaning is actually quite
straightforward: the invoke ID must be within the limits of InvokeIdSet, the
operation value must be from the "Invokable" set, and only operations listed
also in the "Returnable" set can report a result or error. Valid error
values must further belong to the defined set "Errors", which itself is
constrained to apply only to the "Returnable" operations.

I admit that the notation is clumsy, but it allows you to declare your
application environment (i.e. the operations, or supplementary services,
that your software will support) in a formal way which is suitable for
processing by tools.

Ernst Horvath
Siemens AG

listserv at mailbag.intel.com