H.225- CRV

Callaghan, Robert Robert.Callaghan at ICN.SIEMENS.COM
Thu Jan 18 10:45:25 EST 2001

Chris,

The object is to uniquely identify the signaling part of a call.  The
uniqueness consists of two points, the signaling link and the CRV.  The real
question is the definition of the signaling link.  In a direct call routed
model, the endpoints define the link, not the TCP connection.  For the
gatekeeper routed model, it is more complicated.  For a call going
EP->GK->GK->EP there are three links.  The CRV must be unique for each of
the three links.  In that the originating endpoint can determine uniqueness
for the first (EP->GK) link but not for the following links, it may be
necessary for the GKs to change the CRV for a call transiting the GK is
forwarded to the next link.

I agree that this has not been clear for a long time, and was not properly
clarified.  The rules should be more clearly defined.

Bob

Robert Callaghan
Siemens Enterprise Networks
5500 Broken Sound Blvd,      Boca Raton, Fl 33487
Tel: +1 561 923-1756            Fax: +1 561 923-1403
Email: Robert.Callaghan at ICN.Siemens.com