Entering Australia

OKUBO Sakae okubo at GITI.WASEDA.AC.JP
Wed Feb 28 23:41:23 EST 2001

Nancy,

   The parameter that would be used is be the ServiceChangeAddress. As far
as the assumption that the MGC would be provisioned with the primary and
secondary MGs, certainly it could be done that way (and the text in 11.4
does imply this), but I do think that passing the address is an acceptable
approach and should certainly be allowed.

   IMO we don't really need a new method for this. I don't see how adding a
new method is more efficient. I still would contend that adding a
ServiceChangeReason is sufficient and that it is desirable to do so (at
least in V.2).

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Nancy Devin [mailto:nancy.devin at alcatel.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2001 1:07 PM
To: Brown, Michael [NC1:GW10:EXCH]
Cc: ITU-SG16 Mail List; megaco at fore.com
Subject: Re: Protocol version re-negotiation

Hi Mike,

I don't understand why your are talking about passing the address of the
secondary
MG to the MGC during a Failover.  My understanding is that the MGC is
configured
with both the primary MG address and the secondary MG address (even though I
did
not find any text on that).  If that is not the case then which parameter is
used
to transmit the address the the MGC.

Also, I think the idea of having to Handoff to another MG or Failover to the
other
MG may not be the most efficient one.  If we are to add a new reason then
why not
also add a new method which would be "VersionNegotiation"

Method:               VersionNegotiation
TerminationID:    Root
Reason:                MG directed change / MGC directed change
Sent from the MG to the MGC, the MG initiates a protocol version
negotiation.  Sent
from the MGC to the MG, the MGC initiates a protocol version negotiation.

Nancy

Michael Brown wrote:

> Comments inline.
>
> Michael
>
> "Rosen, Brian" wrote:
>

> > > I think you missed one point: "How does a NON-redundant MG
> > > upgrade to a
> > > new version of the protocol?"
> > It comes down, reboots, and comes up again - it's a service affecting
> > change.  AFAIK, that's the only way today.
>
> <MB> Yes, if the MG is really Non-redundant there doesn't seem to be an
option.

> > > Can the MG Failover to itself? Will this cause any problems
> > > in the MGC?
> > Since that's not a defined option, some MGCs might have a problem.
>
> <MB> While there is no existing text specifically saying that this is
allowed.,
> there also is none that disallows this behavior. It seems to me that the
MGC
> should just accept the "new" address for the "secondary" MG and go on.
This
> would be used when an MG and its mate hide behind a single address for the
MGC
> <> MG control association. I would think that this could easily be added
to the
> implementor's guide and I don't think that it should cause problems.
>

> > > To allow this requires only a few changes to the text in RFC3015 as
> > > follows:
> > > Section 7.2.8 ServiceChange
> > > Modify text: "6) Failover - sent from MG to MGC to indicate
> > > the primary
> > > MG is out of service and a secondary is taking over, or to indicate a
> > > version negotiation from the MG."
> > > Add a Reason: "Version Negotiation" or a more generic "MG Directed
> > > Change".
> > > Add text: "The MG may initiate a version negotiation with a
> > > ServiceChange Command specifying the "Root" for the TerminationID,
> > > ServiceChangeMethod equal to Failover and ServiceChangeReason equal to
> > > "Version Negotiation"."
> > I think that's a scope add, which I for one am reluctant to do.
> > If there was a real problem with something we already had, that's one
thing,
> > but a real feature add, I'm less thrilled about.  I'll admit some of the
> > things
> > we have talked about stray at least close, if not over such a line.
Here,

--
Nancy Devin
Software Designer